Pickpocket ★★★★★

Third Bresson film in, and I become evermore convinced that his films, despite the ones I've seen only reach an hour and 20 minutes long, are closest to feel like novels as they have the same complex stories, subtleties and character emotion. So much happen within the running time, that Bresson somehow makes the film lengthy with all the complexities within the film, which creates a good effect on the chaos within Michel's life.

Pickpocket, much like L'Argent, is about a particular man's descent into crime. We see Michel's struggle to understand the predicament he is in (such as his poverty) and attempts to understand meaning in his life. His affection towarsds Jeanne is shown through emotion but with immense subtlety.

We see an emphasis of actions and motivations, with great camera shots of his and his accomplices' pickpockettings. His body language and him saying nothing to various friends showcase his frustration of life and his inability to express. Which also makes his actions sometimes mysterious, leaving us to speculate.

The objects (such as books in his room) religious imagery and the surroundings, such as the unkempt and desolate nature of his room and the cacophanous nature of modern day urban Paris, only amplify the existential themes. The narration are done by him, letting us into his inner thoughts.

The toned down acting reflects the indifference of society and the characters.

Robert Bresson is one of the few filmmakers that has deceptively simple films with massive complexities hidden with perfection. Which only reinforces my claim that Bresson is a master of filmic simplicity, and a master of French cinema overall.