Charlie's Country

Charlie's Country

Film School Drop Outs - Weekly Challenge 2018

Week 28: Actor - David Gulpilil

Considering that I’m a fan of Australian films as well as films centered around indigenous people, it’s about time that I got around to watching Charlie’s Country, a really excellent, sobering portrait of an aging Aboriginal man and the ways he’s weighed down by white culture and empowered by Aboriginal culture. I wish I had a dime for every injustice and microagression on display; there’s hope for change, thankfully, but such deep-rooted discrimination isn’t easy to remedy, and the film doesn’t hold anything back.

It’s been a while since I’ve experienced Walkabout (I don’t remember too much) and The Last Wave (one of my all-time favorite movies) but David Gulpilil is an irreplaceable actor. He has tremendous presence; his face and the way he carries himself tells a story from the get-go. He goes through a range of emotions in Charlie’s Country, and I do wonder how much of it is drawn from his own life - he co-wrote the script, and a number of scenes struck me as familiar after reading his Wikipedia page. His win for Un Certain Regard Best Actor at Cannes is earned.