La La Land

La La Land ★★★★★

Warning: This review is not really cohesive, I’m just writing my thoughts.
Unbelievable. This film is captivating, entertaining, and so much fun. From the theatrics, to the stunning colors and cinematography, Damien Chazelle perfectly blends a 70’s world with a modern day world. This musical was so natural in the way they start singing, as if it could potentially happen in real life. And, each song was flawless. The piano pieces were so emotional in so many ways.
*Spoiler (maybe)*
I think my favorite part about the movie (what bumped it from a 4.5 to a 5 star movie) was the ending act. This is when you start to realize that this love story is not so much between two people, but rather between people and their passions. And with a smile of contentment and reassurance, it’s finished.
*End Possible Spoiler*
This was a perfect blend of everything I could ever want in a movie, and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone. I can’t wait to see it again.

Sidenote: I had the pleasure of watching this in the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood followed by a Q&A with Damien Chazelle and Emma Stone and the producer. What an amazing experience. Chazelle mentioned his hate for musicals as a younger kid and how he changed that within the music of this film. Emma touched on her character's growth through out the movie and how that plays out in the musical numbers and singing/dancing pieces. ALSO, Every musical scene is shot in one take.. Holy $h!t that's impressive.

One last thing: I have a new respect for Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling.

Ry liked these reviews