Carla (Patricia McNaire) is tired of her prudish aunt and cousin cramping her style when she brings men home. A friend takes her to meet Martha (Helena Clayton), a fortune teller who runs an all-female cult that worships "the spirit of Pan" out of the back room of her storefront. Martha suggests a way for Carla to put Tracey (Laura London) and Julie (Bella Donna) in their place, and at first Carla is pleased with the results. Her aunt and…
In Theodore Roszak's novel Flicker, a small group of hardcore cinephiles and one poor date who happened to be along for the ride watch a newly-unearthed film by the mysterious director Max Castle. It is described as a black and white nightmare, not overtly horror-themed but oppressive, bleak, and disturbing. When discussing the film afterward, the young woman whose primary interests lie outside cinema flatly states that the film was "enough to put you off sex for life."
This review may contain spoilers. I can handle the truth.
A few questions I found myself asking while watching Serenity:
1. Is Baker the "Plymouth" game's player character?
2. Does Patrick then directly control Baker's actions?
3. Why would Patrick make his dad a miserable drunk?
4. Is this 13-year-old computer genius also a big fan of neo-noir?
5. Is Karen's story about how Baker took her virginity at 16 true or did Patrick imagine it for some reason? (It's possible that the movie wants us to believe that Baker…
After seeing a lot of people inexplicably claiming that this movie--in which a supernatural evil terrorizes a family isolated in an unforgiving wilderness--is "not a horror movie," I felt compelled to write a piece on horror gatekeeping: medium.com/@rabbitroom/this-is-why-we-can-t-have-nice-things-the-witch-and-horror-fandom-s-gatekeepers-b2c0bb0d8f9a#.qhrribivj
A list of 20 things filmmaker Tom Charley ("ctom") does not appear to know, understand, or believe, based on the content of this film:
1. Generally speaking, night is the part of the 24-hour cycle when it is dark outside.
2. The human gestational period is 9 months.
5. Fall and Winter are the seasons when the weather is coldest.
8. The difference between "thousands" and "millions."
9. It is considered poor…