Frances Ha ★★★★½

Frances Ha is undoubtedly a marmite film, I think you're going to love it or hate it. I understand why, too. I can see exactly why there's people out there who couldn't make it through the whole film, or felt disappointed by it. I, however, am in the group of people who love it.

The film gets off to a slightly shaky start, at first, it's hard to see any character that you could really love, and it seems like the film is just trying to be as quirky as it can be, and that can be annoying.

However, by about 20 minutes in, I was hooked. I loved the style of the film, the way it's shot, edited, everything. I loved it. I could relate to Frances, a lost 20 something who doesn't know where she wants to be, and she's watching people around her moving on with their lives, seemingly well, whilst she's just trying to figure out what her place is.

I get it. I know people who are Frances. People may not like her character, but if there's one thing to say, it's that her character is realistic. There are thousands of people just like her, dealing with the same problems, and probably not taking the best approach to them, just like Frances. She might have annoying quirks, but doesn't everyone?

I have watched this film about 5 times now, and every time I find something new to love. It makes me happy watching this film. I love it, and Greta Gerwig has shown she's a fantastic actress, too.