An Evening with Beverly Luff Linn ★★★½

A high-voiced, nervous-Nellie, loud-volume, synth-layered, explosively gaseous, occasionally monosyllabic and often extremely funny swan dive into the absurd and only the absurd to the absolute breaking point of a payoff to everything. It's kind of a wonder how Jim Hosking creates a mirror of your own frustration with the delays of the titular show and in Jemaine Clement's character's freak-out in what seems like a futile search answers: Who is this Beverly Luff Linn guy and what the hell is his deal? But once we get the answers, we recognize there's something daffy and sweet there about the debasements to which we'll stoop as damaged people and the final act has an unexpected oomph of lonely, weird, isolated people coming together. If Hosking had shaved 20 minutes off this, it could have been even stronger. Then again, you wonder whether he'll get another shot at this level with these actors … or if he even much cares. Also, bravo for Emile Hirsch in all his impressively disgusting mas-macho glory.