A Most Wanted Man

A Most Wanted Man ★★★

Anton Corbijn's A Most Wanted Man is such a forgettable film that I just, this instance, remembered that I saw it in the theaters yesterday; as if it were erased from my memory momentarily not because it's atrocious or poorly-executed or anything, but simply for the fact that the narrative contained within A Most Wanted Man is wholly bereft of intrigue, of tension, of anything worthy of the descriptor: interesting.

The writing is fine as too is the cinematography, along with most of the performances (outside of Rachel McAdams with an awkward German accent that seems to cut in and out). I hate to be that guy but Philip Seymour Hoffman's performance is surprisingly underwhelming as his German accent is definitely more consistent than McAdams; however, it seems off-the-mark. Granted, I'm basing this off of my limited knowledge of German accented English which consists of Herzog and the German guy from my work.

It was fun to see Hoffman alongside Grigoriy Dobrygin, Nina Hoss and Daniel Bruhl.

In a way, A Most Wanted Man is quite humorous, in the sense that Corbijn presents a realistic depiction of Government Spies not the action-packed stylized kind everyone is used to seeing. It's like they finally made a spy hero that middle-aged, overweight Government workers can relate to with its depiction of glacially-paced paperwork signage, along with tension-filled moments of rustling through papers.

All of it goes no where or, at the very least, exactly where you expected to go. It's a well made film, there's no doubt about it; yet, it's the type of film where afterwards you think to yourself "Why was this story told? and why did someone feel the need to tell it?"

When that guy wanted to make a change in the charities, I was like WHHHAAAAAAA....mind blown...holy shit! Plus, when Hoffman put on that cab driver disguise I was like WHHHHAAAA...un-fucking-recognizable!

Rakestraw liked these reviews