Halloween Ends

Halloween Ends ★★★½

I really don't know what I think of Halloween Ends. As a weird, standalone Halloween sequel it's interesting.

As a follow up to Halloween Kills, it certainly makes Kills' sloppy, ridiculous ending even more ridiculous. I cut Kills a little slack because it seemed like an incomplete story. It seemed like the middle part of a trilogy. Kills and Ends were announced together shortly after 2018's release. It seemed a fair assumption that there was some larger plotline in mind, particularly given how Kills was so heavily setup in 2018.

Halloween Ends makes it clear that notion was bullshit. Going into Kills without having seen 2018 would have been baffling (I know several people who did this). This film has almost the opposite issue. Carrying any expectations over from Kills is a setup for disappointment.

Here's the thing, though. I did not like what I thought Kills was setting up. So where they took this film is, like I said, interesting.

Good? Bad? I don't know. I do know that my least favorite aspects of all three of these films has been the legacy characters. Most of all Lori.

Block or Report