Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones ★½

Here we have it: the true low point of the Star Wars franchise.

It's difficult to assess which aspect of this film makes it the worst entry in the series. Episode II takes many of the failings of its predecessor and several times over. The focus on inter-galactic politics has somehow become even more convoluted, to the point that motivations for any group or individual are near impossible to follow. Our characters have somehow lost what little personality they possessed before, especially Hayden Christensen's lifeless turn as soon-to-be-Sith-Lord Anakin Skywalker. (Say what you will about Jake Lloyd, at least the kid could sell the part of a starstruck boy embarking on the adventure of a lifetime) Even the action sequences, Episode I's biggest saving grace, suffer from slipshod editing and bloated run times. Only a climactic battle between Jedi, droids and clones injects this film with any sense of purpose or fun, and even those scenes outstay their welcome. Attack of the Clones not only stands as the worst Star Wars movie, but an utter failure of a film in every regard. Compared to two hours of forced Anakin/Padme bonding, I'll take two hours of Jar Jar Binks any day.