Jojo Rabbit

Jojo Rabbit ★★★½

Just as hilarious as it is heartfelt, without being overly sentimental.

Every single cast member feels absolutely perfect for their characters, especially Roman Griffin Davis and Thomasin Mackenzie, who need to be in everything. Rarely does satire ever feel this fresh and satisfying anymore, but Taika Waititi’s voice is so unique and hilarious that this couldn’t have been made by anyone but him.

This feels like the closest thing we’re going to get to a Mel Brooks film in today’s age, but it still doesn’t hold back the reality of the situation. In theory, this film really shouldn’t hit that balance as well as it does, but it just works.

I really hope Taika keeps making movies like this, and doesn’t get locked in Marvel’s pocket.

Edit:

While I still do really like this movie and think it’s incredibly entertaining, I’m not sure if goes far enough in certain places. I don’t mean with it’s humor, but with its exploration of the true effects that WWII had on people. Maybe that’s too ambitious for a satirical comedy in today’s age, but there are genuine moments of horror and sadness in this that feel squished as opposed to caringly sewn in. The childlike perspective is a good framing device and makes sense in how Jojo views the world, but his growth doesn’t feel quite as fleshed out as it should.

It’s harmless and funny, but just that and really nothing more. If a movie claiming to be an “anti-hate satire” that supposedly takes down the same hateful thinktank attitude that white supremacists have today does nothing more than garner chuckles, then it doesn’t necessarily do its job as well as it could’ve.

rasbolomon liked these reviews