Moneyball ★★★★

Why am I not at all surprised that Aaron Sorkin had a hand in the screenplay for this film?

Moneyball isn’t as accessible and coherent as it should be for the average viewer, largely due to the lack of clarity in setting/staging — you often don’t know where or when things are happening throughout the film. Given that it depicts the Oakland A’s revolutionary integration of thorough economic quantitative analysis into the sport of Baseball, you really want to make sure everything is working as succinctly as possible.

Fortunately, that was my only problem. I watched this film a few years back for the Brad Pitt/Jonah Hill acting duo, but it was only until my recent deep dive into the world of economics that I realized that I never managed to even begin to grasp the scope of this movie whatsoever. Moneyball is goddamn brilliant, and it’s an impeccable lens into the rebirth (and aesthetic destruction) of America’s favorite pasttime. The manner in which director Bennett Miller represents how the newly developed strategic approach of Ivy-League-tier-attention-to-data managed to devastate a world of reluctant old people is equal parts hilarious and honest. This is a film bears great fruit, it’s enthralling and rewards a present mind. It’s definitely worth the time.