Burning

Burning ★★★★½

I’ve learned that when the word “metaphor” makes an appearance in a film, it’s time to keep your eyes peeled. So if you haven’t seen this yet, wait for your cue.

If you have, you know exactly what I’m talking about, and why I loved this thing so much. It’s contemplative, mesmerizing, and brimming with symbolism. The acting is pitch-perfect, particularly from Steven Yeun. The score is fantastic, as is the cinematography. And the character relationships are immediately engaging—Hae-mi and Jong-su have a great connection and a unique chemistry that makes everything believable.

The film is a multi-layered mystery. In one sense, it’s a mystery because we are made to question what is and isn’t reality throughout the film. And our questions are never *quite* answered. In another sense, the film presents itself in mystery, providing very little, if any, inclination as to where the story is heading, where the characters will end up, or even what kind of movie this is. I don’t want to say more, or even use any genre indicators, because I wouldn’t dare spoil this thing.

If you haven’t seen it, you’re at a loss. I’m stunned that this was snubbed by the Academy. Frankly, this should’ve won over ROMA. I’ve yet to see SHOPLIFTERS, but that is on my horizon.