Ghostbusters

Ghostbusters ★★½

Easily the weakest Ghostbusters movie in my opinion. It's not a bad movie but it really is mediocre in my opinion. First of all, I just want to say that I am not one of those guys that don't like this movie because there are women in it. I actually really do welcome the idea of an all-female Ghostbusters movie. You just need to get some really charismatic actresses and make it really funny. While this movie definitely has a great cast it's not really funny. Before I get into the other issues with the film I want to talk about the humor because that is in my opinion the worst aspect of the film. This movie constantly tries to be funny and for the most part, it doesn't work. Not to say the movie was never funny but about 75% of the jokes just fall flat. Mainly because some of them just go on for way too long and or lead to many awkward moments and it definitely wasn't intentional. I did get some laughs out of this film but they were pretty few and far between and honestly if I were to give this film a higher score it really needed to be more hilarious because the story also doesn't do it any favors. That leads to all the other problems with the film. The story is really predictable and copies a lot from the original Ghostbusters with not a lot of new stuff, the characters are not that interesting, the pacing does feel pretty slow in a lot of moments, there are many stupid moments that just left me more frustrated at certain characters, and the effects rely on too much CGI to the point where it just feels lazy. I don't mean in terms of the people making those effects because by themselves I actually do like them especially many of the designs of the ghosts but when you're rebooting a movie that used a lot of practical effects you might wanna put some of those effects in this film and most if not all of it is just really obvious CGI. You're always going to be comparing it to the effects of the original and for 1984 those effects were really impressive and still kind of is today. In the reboot, it just looks like typical effects that you would see in a modern-day blockbuster. So with all of those problems along with the mostly flat humor, you would think I would hate this film but I actually don't. The movie actually does have some positive qualities that keep it from being a disaster. Like I said there is some humor here that does get some laughs, the cinematography is good, the musical score is fine, the direction from Paul Feig is fine. the gadgets used to take down the ghost are pretty neat and creative, the action scenes are fun to watch, and some of the more engaging parts of the movie, and the best thing about this entire movie is the cast. The main four female Ghostbusters here really do carry this film. Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Leslie Jones, and Kate McKinnon all do a good job here. While they are not given that many funny lines and their characters are pretty generic they do have charm and likability to them to make you at least entertained by them. I wish they were given more funny things to say but for what they had to work with I think they did well. However, even they can't save this movie from being just mediocre at best. Overall, the 2016 reboot of Ghostbusters is just another movie that exists. It's not amazing or awful. It is just right in the middle for me. While there are a lot of people out there who hate this film for incredibly stupid reasons saying this like this "ruined my childhood" or "women can't be Ghostbusters therefore I hate it" I am not going to say that everyone who hates this film thinks like that. I can see why people would dislike or hate this film but please just don't attack other people who do enjoy this film. The entire controversy this film had was just so ridiculous and all just for a reboot of a movie that was made back in the 1980s. Thankfully we have moved on from that and hopefully, Ghostbusters fans aren't as toxic right now because they are sadly another case of a fan base that sometimes can go too far with certain things. Anyway, though I think all of you guys are aware of the controversy behind this film so I'm not going to talk more about it so with all of that said I wouldn't really recommend seeing the reboot. Maybe if you're a fan of Paul Feig or a die-hard Ghostbusters fan who likes the idea of an all-female Ghostbusters movie but for anyone else, you're really not missing much if you skip this one. Now that I've finally got through all the Ghostbusters movies it's time to go to Ghostbusters: Afterlife and hopefully it will be at least better than this film and Ghostbusters II. Stay tuned for a review of the film later today!

Ryan liked these reviews