Ghostbusters II

Ghostbusters II ★★★

Before I start I just want to say that I apologize for watching and reviewing this film much later than expected. I was supposed to watch it a couple of days ago but I was just busy with many other things at the time. Also in case, you guys are wondering I will be seeing Ghostbusters: Afterlife in a little less than 13 hours from now. Basically on Saturday and I will also have some time to watch the 2016 reboot. So stay tuned for a review on the reboot before I see Afterlife. One more thing is that because it is pretty late right now I want to keep this review as short as possible so don't expect a lengthy review here. Anyway, how was Ghostbusters II on a rewatch? Well, I'm sure to everyone on the planet that it's nowhere near as good as the first Ghostbusters, and watching it again I did notice a lot more of the problems. The predictable story that basically rehashes the first one, humor that is mostly hit or miss, many things that don't make sense, some pretty dated effects, and a tone that is much more light-hearted and kid-friendly than the first film. For me, that is one of the reasons why the original is so entertaining. It did have a lot of funny dark humor but it also could be pretty creepy at times. In the sequel, there is very little that is creepy or even dark. It's just so light-hearted to the point where it's not that much fun. Thankfully though the film still ends up being alright in the end. Mostly thanks to the performances, some particular standout scenes like the one in the courtroom, and humor that when it works can get some very good laughs. Overall, Ghostbusters II isn't a great movie and does pale in comparison to the original but on its own, it still is enjoyable to watch despite it not being as funny or scary. I would watch it once if you're a big fan of the original Ghostbusters but I would not expect to get the same level of quality that you got in the first movie.

Ryan liked these reviews