Last Night in Soho

Last Night in Soho ★★★★★

I was debating whether I should give this film 4.5 stars or 5 stars but after thinking about it I'm giving this movie a perfect score. I absolutely loved Last Night in Soho. I was looking forward to this movie for a really long time and even before the trailer came out. After watching all of Edgar Wright's movies I became really anticipated for this one and now it has finally come out. I also went to see this movie in a theater because I knew this was a movie I needed to experience in a theater and as you can tell from my rating I am glad that I did. Pretty much everything about this movie works on a perfect level. The story kept me invested the whole way through, the cinematography is gorgeous, the musical score is great, the direction and editing are fantastic, the production and costume design are amazing to look at especially whenever we go to 1960s London which is really a sight to see, the use of color and neon lights throughout the film also makes it really pop, the use of humor in the film actually is effective and can be funny, the characters are all likable and interesting, there are many disturbing, intense, and shocking moments backed up with one hell of a creepy atmosphere in some scenes, the pacing moves along very well and not once was I ever bored or uninterested in what was going on, the few dramatic moments are strong and make you care more about the characters, and the performances are stellar from everyone but the two main standouts of the whole film are Thomasin McKenzie and Anya Taylor-Joy. Both are just wonderful and absolutely incredible in this movie. Their performances also really make their characters more likable in the case of McKenzie's Eloise or interesting in the case of Taylor Joy's Sandie. Also, I just need to say that Anya Taylor Joy's singing was absolutely beautiful. In case any of you guys don't know I do have a crush on Anya Taylor-Joy so seeing her in this movie acting amazingly and singing beautifully was really great to see especially in a movie theater. I also need to say that this movie has some brilliant twists that you will not expect coming and what makes it work even better is the fact that the movie doesn't just have those twists for the sake of shock value. There are actually hints throughout the film that points towards those twists while also making sense in the context of the story. It really shows how clever of a director Edgar Wright is but I think we all know that by now. Overall, Last Night in Soho is an amazing piece of filmmaking by one of the best directors in Hollywood. I'm so glad I got to see this in a movie theater and I strongly encourage everyone who is reading this review and hasn't seen this movie yet to do it now. This movie really is an experience that you gotta have in a theater and while it won't be as epic or grand as something like Dune you will definitely get into this film more watching it in a theater with an audience than at home. Anyway, just go see Last Night in Soho in a theater before it leaves and I will very much be looking forward to whatever Edgar Wright does next in terms of movies.

Ryan liked these reviews