Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest ★★★★

Not as good as the first Pirates of the Caribbean but still a very good film in my opinion. I actually only have two problems with the film but they are pretty big and do keep it from being in the levels of the first film. First is that the film does feel very long and you could clearly tell while watching it. Even if I was engaged throughout this film I really did feel the length and that's a problem because if you don't have a story that fully invests you and it's a very long film then be prepared to sit there for longer than you probably should. Then there is the second problem which is what really makes this film not as good as the first and that is the convoluted story. There are so many things going on in this film to the point where it is just ridiculous. What makes it worse is that some of those things or characters could've been cut out of this film and not much would've changed and that probably explains the long running time. However, the film still offers a lot of what made Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl such a great film. The cinematography is amazing, the musical score is fantastic, the direction is good, the humor is pretty effective and funny, the editing is brilliant, the costume and production design is really good, the special effects are really solid and look for the most part amazing, the action scenes are intense and very engaging to watch, and the performances are solid from everyone. Johnny Depp still does a great job as Captain Jack Sparrow but the one that stands out for me is Bill Nighy as Davy Jones. Not only is his design really cool but he is a very good and intimidating villain and in my opinion gives the best performance out of everyone in this film. So with all of the good things that I've mentioned, I would call this film a very worthy sequel to its predecessor. It's not amazing but it is a lot of fun and still retains a lot of what made the first film so good. If you liked the first Pirates of the Caribbean film then you will enjoy this film but definitely lower your expectations a bit.

Ryan liked these reviews