Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street ★★★★½

I'm not a very big musical person but this is one hell of a great film. The story is very engaging, the cinematography is great, the musical score is phenomenal, the set and costume design is beautiful to look at, the visual style is amazing, and because it's from Tim Burton of course it looks stunning, the atmosphere is really dark, there are some very disturbing and intense moments, the musical numbers are catchy and very well-done, and the performances from the cast are stellar from everyone. Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter especially stand out and do an amazing job in their roles as Benjamin Barker/Sweeney Todd and Nellie Lovett. The film does have a few issues though. Some of the musical numbers aren't that memorable and while they are not bad they just aren't ones I remember as some of the other musical numbers. Then the pacing can be slow in some moments particularly in the second half but the film moves along very well for the most part. So as a whole I did really enjoy this film and while it's not perfect it still is a great film to watch. If you're a fan of Tim Burton or if you want to see a really dark musical film then you will really enjoy this film.

Ryan liked these reviews