The Descent

The Descent ★★★★½

I don't even know what to say. I knew this was going to be creepy and disturbing but this completely surpassed my expectations. If you haven't guessed I really do love this film and almost everyone worked perfectly. The story had me invested the whole way through even if it does follow a formula that has been done to death in horror films, the cinematography is fantastic, the musical score is great, the direction is amazing, the editing is brilliant, the atmosphere is so claustrophobic and does a phenomenal job putting you in the moment with all the women in the film once they get into that cave, there are many disturbing, creepy, unsettling, and shocking moments that caught me completely off guard, the scares are effective and get out a good jump, the imagery is scary as fuck with so much blood, gore, and the creature who is basically just Gollum but so much more terrifying, the few dramatic moments worked very well, and the acting is stellar from everyone with the 6 women throughout the film all doing an amazing job in their roles. With all of this, I'm making it sound like this is one of my favorite horror films and it originally was going to get a 5 out of 5 stars from me but then the ending happened. The ending is not awful but it just wasn't that strong at all. I won't spoil it but I'll just say that it was not a good way to end the film. Apparently, there was also another ending to the film which does give context to what happened in the ending version I saw. Apparently, there are two types of endings to this film and after reading about what the ending was it still is not very good. I'll have to see that ending for myself eventually but just reading about it still makes it not a strong way for the film to end. Overall though I still really loved this film. It really is such a terrifying film that deserves to be seen by everyone. I know some people won't be able to handle this film and what happens in it and I understand but if you can handle all the gore, blood, and claustrophobia that sticks with you throughout the whole film then you will really love this film.

Ryan liked these reviews