Aliens

Aliens ★★★★★

If there’s any fault in this otherwise perfect sequel, it’s the ‘80s trope of always adding a kid to the mix. Newt is a pretty unnecessary character who only exists to get the characters to other parts of the colony easily and to get them into tense situations. The movie would be perfectly fine without her.

But that’s just a nitpick because the character isn’t actively awful or anything. And this movie is more or less the blueprint for how to do a blockbuster sequel. It’s one of the most thrilling, tense movies front-to-back we’ve ever had. Whether it’s the intense action of the xenomorphs attacking the Marines or the human drama of the crew interaction, there’s nary a second of downtime, and it never feels overwhelming. James Cameron nails this.

Also, this just reminds me how ugly modern action movies are. There are so many little shots that would be deemed throwaway in movies now that kind of just make this film feel so much deeper - quick shots to panels, a shot of some tape, Newt nodding while the adults talk, it’s the small details like this that really make a film come together sometimes.

I’m still #TeamAlien over #TeamAliens ten times out of ten, but it’s cheap to compare a horror movie to an action movie like that.

Sigourney Weaver’s Oscar nomination for this is one of AMPAS’ more inspired moments.

Watched on Hulu.