Men in Black

Men in Black

"Edwards: Why the big secret? People are smart. They can handle it.

Kay: A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."

"Jay: Man, we ain't got time for this cover-up bullshit! I don't know whether or not you've forgotten, but there's an Arquillian Battle Cruiser that's about to...

Kay: There's always an Arquillian Battle Cruiser, or a Corillian Death Ray, or an intergalactic plague that is about to wipe out all life on this miserable little planet, and the only way these people can get on with their happy lives is that they DO NOT KNOW ABOUT IT!"

Together with cheerful and scary aliens and how they hiddenly live next to us, comes a particular worldview.
Even with pretty advanced technology, high literacy and more or less free access to information people still do stupid, irrational, hateful things. The twentieth century has proven that. Actually the whole history of mankind shows it in a straight line: how slow mankind and its knowledge of the earth grew.
So there is so much that is still out there to discover!
But because of the low animalistic qualities of this so called 'self conscious' group creature, only few are allowed to explore the secrets.

Is ignorance a bliss? Brings knowledge great sorrow as burdon? Can't a person in a group think clear? Is a human a mere animal? Does it have only urges? If the answer is yes to all the questions, has our whole society failed? Are you convinced human civilization comes in a straight line? Are out there hidden scientific machinery who could fix all our problems? The end of the millennium sentiment is very noticeable. Lots of the questions are still to be answered.