Blindspotting

Blindspotting ★★★★½

Before I begin, here is a link to ways to you can help the fight against racial injustice, oppression, and police brutality: blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/
At the very least sign the petitions. Zero excuse not to sign the petitions.

Blindspotting is incredibly powerful, important, relevant, authentic, thematically rich & complex - speaking imperative truths on racial profiling, police brutality, white privilege and cultural appropriation. It’s also quite hilarious and could even be considered partially a comedy, which I was not expecting at all given how serious the content is. The film does a fantastic job at balancing two juxtaposing tones.

Daveed Diggs and Rafael Casal (who also wrote the script) turn in admirable performances - natural and authentic. Their characters are the heart & soul of the film, and their banter makes this highly entertaining. The filmmaking here was highly creative and interesting. It was certainly stylistic, but not distractingly so. The style complemented the film’s content perfectly.

There’s a scene at the end of the film, and those who have seen this know what I’m referring to, that is an absolute all-timer. It’s one of the most powerful, important, and gripping scenes I’ve ever seen in a film. Possibly top ten scenes of all time. That scene alone is what makes this film an essential watch.

Matthew liked these reviews