GoodFellas ★★★★★

This is my favorite Scorsese film.

After watching Goodfellas again for the hundredth time or so, I've come to the conclusion that The Fate of Morrie is my ultimate haunting scene.

Most violence seen in action and horror films can be fun, exhilarating, inventive, and scary. Some scenes in film history are very haunting. Some scenes though can stick with and haunt you for days, years, or even for the rest of your life. Morrie's death is that #1 scene for me.

Morrie's phony showmanship, his deluded feeling of belonging to the group, his perceived superiority for introducing the Lufthansa heist, his constant and persistent nagging, all leading up to the relief of DeNiro's announcement that the whack was off during the card game, sets up his final scene where Morrie's hubris finally decides his fate. His life extinguished with a three second jab to the neck, filmed perfectly with one long take, followed by jokes and laughs from his killer. Haunting.

Morrie's arc is just one portion of the film that represents the encompassing perfection of it. Goodfellas fully embodies my favorite quote by Ash in Alien (1979):

"Its structural perfection is matched only by its hostility."