Swiss Army Man ★★★★

Swiss Army Man is silly and twee in the way that obnoxious indies from Sundance tend to be, but its brazen originality and its full throttle commitment to an entirely unreliable protagonist thoroughly compensate for those shortcomings. The premise that a farting corpse could be a man’s best survival tool and his best friend at the same time, is a hilarious idea, explored to its full comedic and dramatic potential by writer/directors Dan Kwan and Daniel Scheinert (aka The Daniels). Their dedication to this story of two oddball characters who form an unorthodox bond while surviving in the wilderness is so charming, that it makes lead actors Paul Dano and Daniel Radcliffe palatable in ways that neither have ever been to me before. Watching their zany adventures skilfully edited to a score composed entirely of their own onomatopoetic antics is a delight, even when you find out that Paul Dano’s character imagined some or all of the film’s events in his head. Thankfully The Daniels leave you with just enough suspicion that things could have really happened to prevent their ending from spoiling your good time. I finished the movie thinking, “I can’t wait to see what these goofballs do next.”

Evan liked this review