Carol ★★★

Finally got around to watching this one, and I think I might need to watch it again to really understand it better. Part of this is because I was just a little disappointed which is likely from an unfair amount of hype going in, as not only did it do well critically but it seems to get tons of love on this site. The other part is I just don't really love movies set in the middle of the 20th-century and I know I need to get over that arbitrary reason.

I definitely have to praise the two leads here. They are extremely good and play into their characters so incredibly well, and while their chemistry wasn't exactly obvious I thought it was a very natural one. A lot of relationships in real life aren't visibly signaled by obvious expressions of lust (which makes doubly sense here given their circumstances), and I really really enjoyed how Rooney Mara played a contemplative and introverted character who had her own ways of showing affection for Cate Blanchett.

A lot of the plot points did kind of test me though, especially in the second half. The little interactions is where I felt the soul of this movie lays in, so when it moved away from that it felt a little more mechanical to me. I get why and I understand it's an adaptation, I just sort of didn't really care about the degree we delved into Cate's character's personal life and wanted to get back to seeing how the two leads' relationship develops.

Ultimately I enjoyed Carol for what it is but I feel sad that I didn't fall in love with it. I'm going to rewatch it again and see if that helps at all. Also there's a certain song that keeps playing all the time here too and it drove me just a little crazy.

reibureibu liked these reviews