Landscape in the Mist

Landscape in the Mist ★★★★★

I love any movie that's a journey; it's just a formula that works so well for me. Whether it's road movies like Easy Rider, religious ones like Silence, or even war films like Come and See, the external representation of the internal journey just really moves me.

"Dear father, we are writing because we have decided to come and find you."

Landscape in the Mist is probably my first slow cinema journey and I cannot believe I hadn't seen it before. It's bleak, it's beautiful, and it's a dark coming-of-age; the two child protagonists are forced to grow up much earlier than any child should. The older sister especially; she takes care of her brother as they face hardships in their travels, but the worst things that occur always happen to her. She never falters though and keeps a blank face, consoling her little brother who is the far more emotional one.

"We have never seen you and we miss you."

This older sibling relationship especially hit me hard, as it's something that I've been thinking about more. There's too much cruelty that exists in this world, and sometimes the only thing a sibling can do is shield the younger ones from that reality. At some point they witness a helicopter lifting an object, a giant sculptured hand from the sea that's missing its index finger. It feels incredibly deliberate, it's too distinct not to. I'm not sure if it's supposed to point the children where they should go, or if the missing finger signifies that what they seek is no longer here.

"We talk about you all the time."

The weather is cold. The roads are empty. The landscape is misty and the hand of god has been severed. We keep going despite it all.

reibureibu liked these reviews