My Beautiful Laundrette

My Beautiful Laundrette ★★★½

The struggles of being a first-generation immigrant and identifying with both a country you call home and one your family calls home, of trying to live up to familial expectations while not understanding their language and simultaneously fitting in with your peers. And as if that wasn't enough, it's also about struggling to make peace with your queerness in face of conservative family values, a balance of identity that's doubly difficult to handle as issues of race and sexuality create layers of prejudice that's often difficult for non-poc, non-queer people to understand.

Too white for your own people, too ethnic for for others, this life of multicultural and multisexual identities is one that demands multiple faces constantly. Over time we become good at navigating these complexities but that makes them no less burdensome nor less exhausting to reconcile; we ultimately have to become everything that's asked of us while also defying those expectations and finding our own way in the world.

"Ain't nothing I can say to make it up to you. There's only things I can do to show you... That I am with you."

Block or Report