The Lone Ranger

The Lone Ranger ★★★★★

Rewatched this on a whim thinking it would just be something to put on the background while I did work, but it's surprisingly really good? I honestly think this movie is far better than its reviews suggest, and I'm sad to see that it failed as much as it did.

It's a bit overly-long and over-stuffed with ideas, but I've recently come to appreciate this aspect. You will have a hard time finding a fun movie in the Western genre that has the sheer scope and setpieces that is present in The Lone Ranger, and for that I am extremely grateful for this movie. I know that this is because it's Disney and it would only make sense that they would theme-park the hell out of it, but it certainly delivers on its promise of a fun theme-ride and has a smattering of every kind of Western trope you could think to ask for.

Armie Hammer and Johnny Depp might not be playing the defining role of their careers, but I loved them and the energy they brought to their characters and you really can't go wrong pairing up a law-abiding straight man with a comedic force of chaos.

And at the very least, it has two of the greatest scenes of setpiece comedy I've ever seen and I was not expecting to have such a genuinely good time during them. I'm also glad that they handled the plot concerning the American Indians in a way that acknowledges the injustices that happened to them in history.

reibureibu liked these reviews