Spider-Man: Far from Home

Spider-Man: Far from Home ★★★★

Coming out of the theatre I felt a bit underwhelmed, but I’ve decided that that “whelmness” is derived from the severely and unfairl comedown from the deeply enjoyable previous entry from the MCU, Avengers: Endgame.

Endgame was so fantastic that’s hard to see Far From Home anywhere near the magnitude of that film, and that’s why I still appreciate it for its lower stakes.

In fact, one of my favorite aspects of the film is the villain, Mysterio utilizing illusions to falsifying the cliche large stakes problem many superhero films encounter. It’s a direct subversion and commentary on that troupe to enhance Peter Parker’s character dealing with the immense power he was granted whom struggles with being a normal high school kid with normal romantic problems. The illusion all along is how he perceived himself trying to live up to an ideal that is Iron Man and finally realizing the actual reality that Iron Man was always first Tony Stark with his flaws.

Maybe I’m giving it more than that, but I love Spider-Man as a character and so I’m a bit biased. Tom Holland continues to convey how Spider-Man was always meant to be, and I continue to enjoy his interpretation. This is probably a 3.5, but in my illusion, it’s a 4 out 5.