Rocketman ★★★★

I’m never the one to say how an actor was born to play a historical figure. Oftentimes when that statement is said, that movie ends up being utter crap. We all said Ashton Kutcher was born to play Steve Jobs and look what happened. Taron Egerton, on the other hand, was BORN to play Elton John. Hell, we should’ve seen this coming over the last several years anyway considering Egerton belted out, “I’m Still Standing” in the 2016 Illumination hit, Sing. The year after, Egerton worked with John himself in Kingsman 2. It was teased for some time and by God, I’m glad it happened. If Rami Malek could win an Oscar for lip syncing, wearing fake ass teeth, and doing an impersonation of Freddie Mercury for Bohemian Rhapsody, then Taron Egerton deserves to win 10 Oscars, a purple heart, a Nobel Peace Prize, and be knighted for delivering a remarkable PERFORMANCE as Elton John. In a role that requires him to use vocals and showcase another range of his talents by capturing the big bombastic showmanship and flamboyance of John, Egerton knocks it out of the park. You can tell he worked closely with the figure to capture all of his likeness, and he kills every single element that goes into the man’s characteristics and mannerisms. He channels Elton John and succeeds in all fronts for his performance.

Taron Egerton and director Dexter Fletcher bring the absolute best out of each other as Egerton’s performance accompanies the fantastical direction Fletcher provides to bring this fantasy to life. The tagline of this movie is “based on a true fantasy,” and those fantastical elements are right in the forefront from the very first number. The film is a musical biopic and each musical sequence is full of its own flair and energy that is thoroughly infectus, highly imaginative, and most of all, visually stunning. Whether you are an Elton John fan or not, you will be swept by the wonders of Fletcher’s style. At times, it was a bit reminiscent of watching Gnomeo & Juliet when I was a kid, for that was my introduction to Elton John as an artist, and that high energy that was applied there is applied here - but for adults. Fuck Aladdin. This is how a musical blockbuster should be made.

The film’s musical sequences are well-balanced with John’s retelling of his career. Unlike recent musical biopics that just glossed over things as it hit every expected and known moment of a figure’s career, Rocketman actually tells a meaningful story and provides a well-thought out arc for John’s story, which leaves nothing out about his identity. Another aspect I love about the film is how it plays with a non-linear structure with the musical sequences while giving life and dimension to the figure himself.

FULL REVIEW HERE