Call Me by Your Name

Call Me by Your Name ★★★★★

I normally don't write very personal reviews but Call Me By Your Name speaks to me on such a personal level that I just have to make a small exception. I read the book last summer and I remember being in such awe of the entire thing that I couldn’t stop reading it. It had been quite awhile since a book had touched me so deeply and I just couldn’t help but revisit it as often as I could. It read like poetry, it felt like poetry and every word ran so deeply in every fibre of my being.

I wasn’t very sure if a film adaptation could ever come remotely close to giving me that exact feeling but it did beyond just that. Watching Call Me By Your Name felt like watching a supercut of all the memories Elio had of Oliver. It showed us all the different aspects of what love has to offer us. Sometimes it’s hard to remember that as heart-wrenching as love can be, there’s also so much complexity in it and that at the end of the day, it’s something utterly beautiful.

The last scene of Elio is absolutely heartbreaking to watch. Overwhelmed by the tunes of Visions of Gideon, we see a very emotional Elio sitting at the fireplace, reminiscing on old memories that are now far out of his reach. There are so many emotions conveyed in those last few minutes— the happiness Oliver has brought him, the profound love and tenderness he will forever cherish, but now of course the utter sadness of losing him.

But, those memories will always echo through his life to remind him that he hasn’t lost Oliver and that he never entirely will.

River liked these reviews