Promising Young Woman

Promising Young Woman ★★

“I think I am falling in love with you.”

That was Actual dialogue from the movie.

Trust me, I really wanted to like it because it seemed to be alright in concept. But the problem is that the script is just bad. Not only is much of the dialogue bad, but just how much of the movie is written comes off as so manipulative and fake. Especially with the main character who I don’t even know who she is supposed to be half the time because she is so poorly defined. On top of that the tone is fucking all over the place. I seriously just felt awkward while watching this because I just felt frustrated when there’s ideas where I’m like “yeah that was cool” or “I wonder what they could do with that” but the movie just felt so incredibly sloppy. A lot of people have said they liked this movie while hated the ending and while yeah the ending was stupid as fuck, it didn’t felt that different from the rest of the movie. Now this movie is not completely terrible. While directing and cinematography were not amazing, there were some shots where really liked how they used color and how things were framed. Carey Mulligan, despite having a terribly written character was really good in her performance and Bo Burnham was legit the best part of the movie. He’s the only one that’s seems to have a defined character that seems somewhat like a real person. But overall if this movie didn’t have a terrible script this could’ve been pretty good or even great. Unfortunately that is not the case.

Also the soundtrack kinda sucks.

Block or Report