Parasite ★★★★★

Watched in the MK2 Beaubourg Cinema in Paris. Original Korean audio with french subtitles. (Super proud of myself for following along the subs and understanding the entire movie!)

The praise is extremely well deserved for Parasite! Its ridiculous story (I mean this in the best possible way) invites us to creep deep into the bizarre circumstances the Kim family find themselves in.

While the film is set in our present world, it's the fantastic writing and acting which leave no doubt that the [comically presented] events happening onscreen, while always over-the-top, are real and impact our beloved Kim family.

Every aspect of the film is given great care and well-utilized to make the ridiculous series of events which transpire (one, more rapid and significant than the last) its appropriate 'feeling'. (The composition will often manipulate us to feel trapped and squeezed in with the Kim's, long takes as well as the strikingly beautiful score paired with slow-motion making situations tense, the list goes on...)

There is no end to beautifully thought out and well executed features of this film, but one that stood out to me was how smartphones and social media are integrated. It was (strangely enough) jarring to see how natural these characters interacted with their devices, which solidified the plot and our immersion into this parallel world, instead of feeling like an out of place gimmick or cheap shortcut that seems to be an issue in so many films.

Anyways, rich people are parasites in society. And that's pretty much what I have to say about Bong Joon-ho's masterpiece.