Kiki's Delivery Service

Kiki's Delivery Service ★★★★½

This movie ran so Sabrina could walk. Or is it Little Witch Academia? Whatever, there's like one degree of separation anyways.
So glad I finally had a reason to watch this. There is such an uncanny sense of freedom throughout this that beautifully captures that feeling of leaving home and growing up without making it feel overly stressful or unrealistic. Sometimes it's tough and overwhelming, but you work through it. Slowly but surely, you find your place in that world, surround yourself with people who care about you, and before you know it, you're already home. I'm sure real life won't have characters quite this endearing or cities this gorgeous, but it still gives you this warm feeling that everything will be okay. Flying would be cool too though.
Ghibli continues its streak of decent dubs with famous lead actresses with a teenage Kirsten Dunst doing a great job as the lead. Phil Hartman as Jiji wouldn't have been my first choice and he doesn't come across as natural as the others, but he does well enough. They shoulda just got the guy from Ghost Stories, let's be real. The music and animation is as lovely as one can expect from a Ghibli picture. Joe Hisaishi is a champion, as per usual.
This is one of those experiences that reinvigorates your sense of confidence and independence and kinda makes you want to move to a completely new city and just see what happens. Or maybe I'm just at a weird point in my life. Either way, this was long overdue and has definitely jumped towards the upper end of my Ghibli list.