Blade Runner 2049 ★★★★★

Director Denis Villeneuve was the one aspect that most solidified my faith in this revelatory sequel to the beloved 1982 Ridley Scott-helmed classic, Blade Runner, and I couldn't be happier that it lived up to - actually, even exceeded - my already extremely high expectations. Villeneuve is, in my opinion, one of the best and most exciting working directors around these days and he puts his all into this dazzling effort. Even though I saw it over 24 hours ago now, I haven't been able to get it off my mind since.

One word my father and I kept using to describe the film while discussing it after experiencing it together in IMAX - which both of us would highly recommend checking this out in - was "immersive". We felt completely and utterly immersed within this world that was presented before us, not to mention it being presented as stunningly beautiful as possible by Roger motherfucking Deakins; all while accompanied by an unbelievable, thunderous score and absolutely brilliant performances. The fact that each of the astounding visual effects, details and genuinely creative ideas felt so inventive and fresh in an age where so many things simply aren't anymore is quite the feat, especially when it is the follow-up to what I'm sure (and have heard) was such an inventive and fresh and frankly ground-breaking film from over thirty years ago. I feel right now a lot like how I imagine the majority of moviegoers felt back in '82 after they walked out of the theater from seeing the original: like I had just witnessed something truly special and unforgettable, an experience I am sure to cherish and enjoy revisiting for the next 30+ years myself.

Denis Villeneuve's Blade Runner 2049 is not to be missed.

Ryan liked these reviews