Cobain: Montage of Heck ★★★★★

I've been a Nirvana fan for as long as I can remember. They've been my favorite band ever since I heard "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and immediately asked my one uncle to lend me each of their albums, and I would sit around in my bedroom blaring them one after another. From Bleach to MTV Unplugged in New York and every other live album along with the With the Lights Out box-set in between, I would consistently listen to each song, one after another, as if I couldn't possibly get enough. So when I first read about a new documentary making it's rounds at film festivals that included unreleased material from Cobain, I nearly died. I couldn't wait to see it for myself after reading all of the rave reviews. So I pre-ordered the U.K. Blu-ray release, seeing as the U.S. version won't be released until November, and eagerly waited every day for it to turn up in the mail.

After finally getting to experience Montage of Heck for myself, I couldn't be more satisfied. This was the rockumentary on Kurt I was hoping for. Director Brett Morgen did an amazing job in utilizing all of the footage and materials to the best of his and their abilities. I feel like it's pretty much everything a Kurt Cobain/Nirvana fan would want to see in a documentary on the subject - and not only what fans wanted to see, but needed to see to further understand this tortured soul. What we have here is a deeply affecting, devastatingly personal portrait of an incredibly talented man who was gone way too soon.

Morgen chose the perfect moment to bring the film to a close, which is Nirvana's performance of "Where Did You Sleep Last Night?" at their Unplugged show. Just perfection. I couldn't be more appreciative for this film and will most definitely revisit it again and again.

Ryan liked these reviews