Interstellar ★★★★★

I wanted to experience this for the first time in the most spectacular way possible, and the closest place near me to do that was The Franklin Institute in Philly, on it's giant domed IMAX screen. Unfortunately, my friend and I didn't think to get there early to acquire the best seats (which are at the very top, or at least towards it) and we were stuck near the bottom, where you have to crane your neck to see the screen correctly. Being as I have a pretty bad back/neck injury due to a car accident a few years ago, this was not a very ideal situation to be in for nearly three hours.

But what I'm getting at is, despite already being in a tremendous amount of pain at around the 10-minute mark, I still somehow managed to absolutely love Christopher Nolan's Interstellar. Usually, an uncomfortable experience like this would almost completely ruin my first time viewing something, due to not being able to become entirely immersed in the film itself. But that was (very) fortunately not the case here. I was in complete and utter awe from the moment it started, and remained just as entranced throughout the rest of it's running time.

Despite so many different things racing through my head about this, I'm not sure what to say at this point. Visually, everything about it is astonishing, and the incredible shots of space are literally breathtaking. There wasn't a single moment where I thought, "That wasn't very convincing..." Instead I kept thinking "Did Nolan actually film this shit in space? That crazy bastard." Because, hey, if there was a modern filmmaker to actually travel through space and wormholes to work on his latest film, it would most likely be Chris Nolan. I also found this to be Nolan's most emotionally-engaging film to date. There was a true heart to the story, and it definitely shown throughout. One of my favorite scenes is quite possibly the simplest (at least, in a film involving space travel), where Cooper (Matthew McConaughey, still on a magnificent roll and not showing signs of stopping) sits down to watch messages from loved ones (don't want to ruin anything by saying more). The moment wrecked me and McConaughey was astounding.

I'm still gathering my thoughts despite seeing it nearly 24 hours before writing this, and my mind is still recuperating from the fucking Nolan has dished it once again. I'll be going to the theater (a regular one) to experience this extraordinary film again, hopefully later this week or early next week, and then again once my buddy gets home from college for Thanksgiving break. Maybe by either of those times I'll have more coherent thoughts to include on here.

But despite what some reviews are saying otherwise, I personally believe that Nolan has done it again. I may just be a sucker for his work in general, or maybe I'm simply a "Nolan fan-boy" as I've heard people label others who truly admire/cherish his work. But to me, he has created another phenomenal film that further pushes me to regard him as one of the very best filmmakers currently around; with fascinating vision, scope and originality that cinema needs these days. And, as always, I can't wait to see what he's up to next.

Ryan liked these reviews