Joe

Joe ★★★★★

I'm not quite sure what to say about this at the moment other than it was even better than I was initially expecting and it was fuckin' awesome seeing Nic Cage be fantastic in a significant role again. Seriously, it brought me great joy seeing him give such a great performance after all the nonsense he's been in for too long. Hopefully he keeps it up and makes some sort of comeback after all these years. He's obviously capable of still bringing that inner good acting ability that dwells somewhere in the deep depths of his crazy soul, which I think was most prominently showcased in films such as Leaving Las Vegas (1995) and Adaptation. (2002) - of course among others - a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away... (Do I seem over-dramatic/delirious-from-lack-of-sleep enough yet? Am I even making sense anymore? Doubt it.) And if recent newcomer Tye Sheridan sticks to turning in remarkable performances like he did in this and Mud, I feel pretty confident that he'll make a successful acting career for himself.

I was going to leave my rating at four-and-a-half for now but after thinking about it more and more since finishing it just a bit ago, I've realized there's really nothing for me to complain about or that I can truly say I dislike about it (for the time being). I think/hope that a future rewatch will reinforce that verdict.
Man, I really loved David Gordon Green's Joe. So glad he's getting back into the groove of making some more serious films.

Block or Report