Terminator 2: Judgment Day ★★★★½

This is the action film that all other actions films should be judged against.

James Cameron directs thts like a master. Every set piece is thrilling. The action constantly builds on itself and it’s never incoherent. The staging and stunt choreography is basically unrivaled, this is as good as anything Spielberg or George Miller have made.

Schwarzenegger was born for this role. I don’t think there’s even been more perfect casting. Kinda Hamilton is my favorite action heroine, sorry Ripley. Edward Furlong is acting for the first time and he’s one of the best parts of the movie. Robert Patrick is so good as the T-1000, and one of the all time best action villains.

The visual effects still hold up almost 30 years later (fuck time flies), I can’t imagine how jaw dropping it would have been to see them in 91’.

Terminator 2 is on the Mount Rushmore of action films. Fury Road, MI:Fallout, Die Hard, and Aliens are among the greatest action films ever made, and this may be better. I think Cameron is often seen as charicature now a days, but it’s important to remember that at his best, Cameron is virtually unrivaled and T-2 is the perfect example of that.