Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion

Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion ★★★★★

After watching this I need a long nap, a stiff drink, a good cry, and a fucking therapist.

This may be the most devastating 90 minutes of film I’ve ever experienced. It was infuriating and uncomfortable and deeply, deeply upsetting. The whole series, but particularly this film, digs so deep into the heart of what it means to feel alone in this world. Into what it means to be alive and, most importantly, that it’s okay to be alive. To just be here. Trying. But you HAVE to try.

I don’t even know, y’all. I am so happy that this is now available on Netflix because I am sure I will be returning to it. Being a first-time viewer of this, rightfully, legendary franchise, I know I’m not bringing anything remotely new to the table with what I am saying. I’m not even close to fully grasping what exactly this movie has to say and I look forward to analyzing it further, and returning for repeat viewings when I am in a different part of my life. Older, wiser and with new perspective in order to get more out of it. This is such a special story that Hideaki Anno NEEDED to make. It’s evident in every frame and every line of dialogue that he needed to create this work of art to survive. At the end of the day I’m just grateful that it helped him and that he, like Shinji, realized the necessity of human connection and decided to share it with us.

Eric liked these reviews