Parasite ★★★★★

Ben Gibbard, lead singer and primary songwriter of Death Cab for Cutie, said of his band’s 2005 album Plans that the title was inspired by a dark joke he had once heard — “How do you make God laugh?,” asks the setup. “You make a plan,” the punchline responds.

I’m still torn on whether or not I would prefer to hear one last line of V.O. at the film’s close to crystallize the movie’s thematic implication—“but nothing ever goes according to plan” or some such musing—or not. But I do know that in either case, Parasite is the best film I’ve seen this year to date, and I’ll take another rip of that Joon-Ho Bong ASAP.

Class is a difficult subject to tackle for any film, in large part because the scope of any incisive—or even merely accurate—inquiry into systemic dynamics is necessarily both quite broad and surprisingly deep, which is to say it’s not terribly well-suited to a narrative medium that prioritizes emotional arcs of individuals and small groups that resolve cleanly and satisfyingly within 1.5-3 hours. As such, Parasite’s depiction of class conflict is necessarily a bit narrow in its focus, a bit shallow in its commentary... and still leaps and bounds ahead of what most films that claim to be about class even attempt to achieve.

Go see this movie.