Ready Player One ★★½

This was OK. I'm giving it 2.5 stars out of 5, but I'm being a bit generous with it. The special effects were amazing, and everything looks ridiculously convincing, so you can see how much time and effort was put into this movie, but the problem with so much special effects, is that it was kinda tough to get emotionally involved with the movie.

For example, Wade, the group leader, literally spends one single day with Artemis, and almost instantly falls in love with her in the cyber world. I've played a ton of video games, but that never happens. I felt the villain of the story, the CEO dude was kinda unconvincing too. He was kind of bland in a way, where his performance wasn't particularly conniving or menacing enough. He wasn't charismatic enough for me to really believe that he's the villain. The female hunter who works under him was way more convincing as a villain.

I feel like the movie sold so much as a "gamer" movie, that the story and character development all kind of fall flat. You're so busy trying to make sense of all these pop culture references, that you don't have the energy to care for the storyline or why they're running around the game trying to find an Easter egg.

I did like the The Shining scenes though. Those were actually quite clever, and way more fun than the scenes for the third challenge (which I felt were kind of rushed).

P.S. Did the two Asian characters in the movie /had/ to have Japanese-related outfits? Could they not have been dressed in other outfits, lol. Just because they're East Asian, it doesn't mean they're all thirsty for ninja characters and Japanese gamer lore lol wtf.

Wendy liked this review