Band Baaja Baaraat ★★★★★

I realize I never reviewed this masterpiece in full. As I am currently procrastinating, what better time than now...

I remember asking my sister who actually won the Filmfare Award for Best Film back in 2011. I was surprised when the answer was the slightly obscure, very random Band Baaja Baaraat.

I saw it that year and fell absolutely in love with it. I finally buckled down and learned Hindi that year. BBB was one of the biggest motivations and drivers for that. I've seen it almost every year since? It's genuinely one of the best films of the decade.

2010 was a year of great change for Bollywood that would propel the industry towards the films that we're seeing today. A few very significant films came out that year that would define the decade to come: Dabangg, Ishqiya, and Band Baaja Baaraat.

3 categories: Mega-stars, critical works, and ...small-town/middle-class stories we could see ourselves in.

Band Baaja Baaraat is the seminal work of the nouveau romantic comedy that has emerged in the 2010s. First of all, it features a casual sex scene. Second of all, Bittoo is no hero. Third of all, their relationship is believable.

I still think BBB is one of the best-written films I've ever seen. It is endlessly funny, painfully real, and supremely well-acted. It also has a banging soundtrack that created clones for eons.

2018's surprise hits -- Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety, Badhaai Ho, even Stree couldn't have existed without the endless brilliance and inspiration that BBB provided. Maybe Yeh Jawaani Hai Dewaani couldn't have happened without BBB.

If you haven't seen this, this will inevitably be a film that shows up in Bollywood history courses. It was a huge risk at the time that led to both mainstream and critical appeal. It may not be what most people remember when they think of 2010, but without it, we'd still be watching romcoms like Kuch Kuch Hota Hai.

Sit back, enjoy, and remember that if you're watching with subtitles -- you are getting less than half of the film.

(SERIOUSLY ONE OF THE MOST UNDERRATED FILMS OF ALL TIME, DESPITE WINNING SEVERAL AWARDS.)