2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★★

I just had the amazing experience of watching this film at the Birmingham Symphony Hall with the full Philharmonia Orchestra and Choir. Absolutely amazing! This is Science Fiction at its very best. Kubrick became one of my favourite Directors after I watched The Shining, and every subsequent viewing of his films reinforces this. His films are successful as they provoke thought and participation. 2001 is beautiful to watch and for a film made in 1968 it has some incredible effects that still look very good today. Seeing it today on the big screen is all the more breathtaking. One thing I am always astounded with is how well Kubrick captures the vast and consuming silence of space. The music, sounds and choir create a perfect mood and are a vitally important part in the experience of this film. In a world where we have come to expect Hollywood to spoon feed its audiences - it is a pleasure to see such success for a film that leaves the audience in charge to draw their own conclusions. This is a perfect example of quality and visionary filmmaking.

Paul liked these reviews