The Amazing Spider-Man 2 ★★★

The Amazing Spiderman 2 was not a big success to say the least. It received mixed reviews from critics and fans all across the board. However why it does have some clear and obvious problems I enjoyed the film and here is why.

The Amazing Spiderman 2 picks up where the original film left us. Peter has now filled the boots of the web slinger while also graduating from high school. Peter and Gwen are now madly in love and are both planning to go to college. However Peter remembers the promise he made to Gwens dad on his deathbed to keep Gwen away from his life of fighting crime as it would lead to her getting hurt. Meanwhile a lowly engineer played by Jamie Foxx falls into a vat of electric eels and is transformed into Electro. Peter must battle Electro and save the city while he also battles his own demons i.e Gwen.

First off the story in the film is sorely undeveloped. A mix of several subplot story lines that don't really coerce into a proper conclusion the film ends up being a confused mess of characters and events. Electro is not really a strong character due in part to the deviations from his actual origins and his writing in whole. Other story lines such as Peters friendship with Harry are undeveloped and do not showcase any inspiration or unique factors. With the bad stuff out of the way let's get to the better factors.

Once again the title character is portrayed really well as a geeky hipster type of guy. Andrew Garfield puts in a great performance which you can tell he was having a lot of fun playing the role. Emma Stone also showcases as Gwen Stacey extremely well. In fact my favorite part of this film was watching these two on screen together working out the kinks in their relationship and trying to protect eachother. Garfield and Stone's on screen chemistry is fantastic thanks in no small part to their real life off screen relationship together.

I know it may not be the best film in the world or close to it but The Amazing Spiderman 2 was pretty cool. I am interested in seeing what will come out of this Spiderman series next with the upcoming Sinister Six film we shall see what else the future holds in store for Spidey.

3/5 Stars