The Spectacular Now ★★★★★

''If I were your father, I guess this would be the part where I give you a lecture about what you're doing with yourself.''

I had heard some rumblings about this film. They said that Miles Teller is a bright and shining beacon, Brie Larson is not in it enough and that this was going to be this years The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Those rumblings bounced me all the way to the bank here, because film charmed the absolute pants off me. Note perfect in all areas; from the razor script, the healthy array of talent dotted throughout (Larsen, Chandler and Odenkirk to name a few), in the way it brings the truth and lays it all out on the table, managing to tread sensitively where other films fumble in exploring it's the themes and issues, but most of all in the kinetic dynamics of Miles Teller (the most charismatically flawed charmer I have seen in aeons) and the luminous Shailene Woodley (this girl is a freakin' natural) and the way they captured my heart every time they entered the frame. I cannot think of anything that I would mark against the experience this offered me, and am truly humbled to be living in the afterglow of The Spectacular Now.

Rod liked these reviews