The Wolf of Wall Street

The Wolf of Wall Street ★★★½

More of a satire than I expected it to be, and now I understand why audiences have been so divided in their experiences. With this type of films it's often hit or miss, either you love it or you dislike it (or even hate it). Ironically though, I find myself somewhere in between.

Some of the satire is indeed great, and it's actually a pretty funny film. But I'm struggling to see what Scorsese really is trying to say with this film. I've seen him be criticized because of his "glorification" of Belfort's actions, and in some ways I totally agree on that. Belfort was (and probably still is) a major asshole, so much does the film tell us, but there's always an excuse for him doing what he did. And in the end he basically got away with it, and started a new successful career he never would have had without his reputation from his Wall Street days.

I actually think the film suffers a bit from being based on Belfort's own writing. It tries to be a satire on Belfort's actions, but becomes more of a satire on society, and shows how easily one man can manipulate anyone he wants. The feeling I got was that they're saying he's just a clever guy who took advantage of his skills, something every other guy also would do.

And wouldn't every other guy do that? I can't speak for everyone, but I have to say it would have been tempting (I'm definitely deleting this review if I ever become a stock broker. USA, I know you're watching, please don't rat me out on this).

I don't know, maybe I just sympathized with Belfort because of Leo. But I don't think so. He's a cunt in Django Unchained, but here he's actually really easy to like. Like I wrote earlier, I get that Belfort is/was a major asshole, but in the kind of surreal world of this film he's more of a tragic hero in my opinion. Leo is as great as always though, and here's hoping this will finally be his year at the Oscars (haven't seen McConaughey in DBC yet, but so far Leo is my favorite).

Anyway, so far a 3.5 out of 5 for me. So yeah, I actually liked it pretty much. Have no idea how that will turn out on a rewatch though. I'm pretty sure it will go up or down, but right now I'm really uncertain of which way.