Steve Jobs ★★★

Steve Jobs takes us behind the scenes of three iconic Apple product launches, beginning in 1984 and ending in 1998. Because of this structure, it feels like a theatre play, which in and of itself isn’t a bad thing, but it comes with a few problems.

As great as Michael Fassbender was in this, i did not for one second see Steve Jobs; i only ever saw Michael Fassbender. The man can recite dialog rather well (and he does create a believable picture of a misunderstood tyrant), but he does not have the charisma needed for a role such as this.

The screenplay was snappy and typical rapid-fire Sorkin, but the overall story was too unengaging. We did get to see a slice of Steve Jobs’ personality and a few of his struggles, but not a minute was spent at showing Jobs at Apple’s (or NeXT’S) CEO, doing actual work. The jokes became repetitive (“Call Andy!” – “Which Andy?” – “Hertzfeld”), and the drama stayed superficial (mostly because we saw the key players at only three single points in their lives) and it became repetitive as well (because we got to hear the same arguments with the same people three different times).

Cinematography was fine (i particularly enjoyed the different looks of the three different eras), but sometimes – in true Danny Boyle fashion – it was way too stylish, seemingly only for the sake of being stylish (Dutch angle, anyone?). In the end, however, it still is a good-looking film.

Music, on the other hand, was mostly forgettable – if not downright out-of-place. Just think of the heated conversation between Jobs and Sculley during the ’88 segment: It sounded like Batman was chasing down the Joker in his Batmobile.

All in all, better than 2013’s Jobs, but a far cry from that “other” high profile biopic, 2010’s The Social Network.

rotane liked these reviews