The Miseducation of Cameron Post ★★½

Teenager Cameron Post is caught making out with girlfriend Coley and is forced into a gay conversion camp.

At the slow pace this film had, it should’ve been 4 hours long. But the fact that it’s barely scratching 90 minutes makes it seem very superficial. For someone who has read the book, this was particularly disappointing. Don’t get me wrong, the tone and subject matter at hand practically mandates such deliberate and slow pacing, but in order to fit everything into 1 and a half hours, a whole damn lot had to be cut. For example, the film pretty much opens with Cameron being sent to the camp, whereas in the book we have spent many chapters with her, getting to know her and her peers. By the time she has to leave for the camp, she’s already a much more fleshed out character than the film-version of Cameron ever becomes. In the book we get to witness why Cameron is so infatuated with Coley, whereas in the film she is degraded to a macguffin that simply sends the plot going.

It’s not all bad, though. It was nicely shot and directed, performances were for the most part adequate (if not good), and i liked the music a lot; but with such a severely truncated script, the film was bound to fall flat.