Pet Sematary ★★★

Pet Sematary (2019) is the remake of the 1989 film of the same name. Plus, it’s one of Stephen King’s iconic novels. It stars Jason Clarke, Amy Seimetz and John Lithgow. Louis Creed and his wife, Rachel, relocate from Boston to rural Maine with their two young children. The couple soon discoveres a mysterious burial ground hidden deep in the woods near their new home.

I watched the original film before going into this and the original is average. One of the forgettable Stephen King films. When this was announced, I was interested because of the success of IT being remade and that film was amazing. This film however got a lot of love at SXSW and I don’t get it. It was okay, better than the original though.

Positives:
- The Performances From Clarke, Lithgow and Seimetz are amazing.
- The first 2 acts really set up the tention and creeps.
- Church the Cat is terrifying to look at.
- The setting is creepy.

Negatives:
- The 3rd act loses steam. To me, it was very underwhelming.
- Also, it wasn’t that scary to me.
- It feels like the film loses balance on the things they want to do compared to what they have to do.

Overall, A fine film with good performances. Just a disappointment on that fact that it could’ve been phenomenal. This is definitely better than the original, but that isn’t saying much really.

YouTube Review: youtu.be/GVY-laCnids