Ed Gein: The Ghoul of Plainfield ★★★★

We watched this in my film lit class, because Ed Gein was the main inspiration for the character of Norman Bates in Psycho (he also inspired Leatherface in the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and to an extent Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs.) This is a nice, concise, 24 minute mini - doc about Gein’s life and his crimes. It gets straight to the point and doesn’t waste any time which I admire. There are some very interesting interviews in here with historians and psychologists that talk abut Geins mental illness and legacy. What stops this from being a five stars from me is the presentation. You can tell this was made cheaply because the presentation is sloppy to say the least. The sound design is terrible, volume fluctuates between nearly silent to ear piercingly loud. The editing is equally bad, the transitions in between interviews feel awkward, and the same video clips and photos are used multiple times which can get repetitive. Still though this is a short, interesting, and educational mini - doc about one of the most fascinating serial killers of all time.

You can watch here if you are interested -youtu.be/iQYcOH_XHYw